Friday, April 24, 2015

More colca canyon

MWe stayed in cabanaconde for the night. Our room was really cold until they brought us a heater. I guess we were the weak Americans unlike Amanda and Jason when they stayed at colca canyon bundled up in all their clothes. 

Wednesday we again awoke before 6. Jarley took us to an overlook to view the canyon. 
It was really pretty with the mist. You can see an inca trail on the mountain side. 
It was worth getting up early for the view. 
This is Carl heinz, a stray dog that hangs out around the hotel. He walked out to the viewpoint and back with us. He also accompanied us on a walk after dinner the night before. 
The grounds around the hotel were lush. This is Jarley showing us this display. It almost looked like you can just stick a plant on this rock and it will grow. 
The things that grow here are amazing. Avocados peaches apples bananas Papya mango all grow in the same fields. Josephine was right about living in such a wonderful place. 
On our way out of cabanaconde we passed kids on their way to school. 
Interesting school bus. 
We stopped at the canyon edge and slowly walked along for a couple of hours looking for condor. We saw several but none close enough to photograph. We also so Eagles Falcons swifts rabbits lizards and a hummingbird the size of a robin. Sorry no condor pictures. 

 
Eventually we had to leave the canyon. We passed all kinds of animals on the road including horses cows goats and sheep. This a flock of sheep we passed. 
Followed by this shepardess and her dog. 
We stopped at a market in Maca where saw this woman spinning yarn. She was very kind to show us how she spins. I bought some alpaca yarn from her. She had a hard time selling her yarn after all the work she put into it. I asked jarley to please tell her I understand and to tell her she should keep it. She said she wanted to sell. Now I get to find a good project for this beautiful yarn. 

In chivay we stopped at a market. Jarley bought this fruit called pacay. It had a real subtle sweet flavor. 
While looking for condors we found these bees. They are white and furry. They live underground  in the holes you can see in the picture. 

1 comment:

  1. they have bees in Peru? If I would have known I would have been there! Honey made by Peruvians? I bet it taste awesome with a hint of cocoa and coffee!

    ReplyDelete