Saturday, March 19, 2016

Mainz

While Will is at his meeting, I get to wander through the city. We think this is the fourth time we've been here. You would think we've seen everything but Mainz still has a few surprises. 
We have never been inside Mainz's cathedral. Two years ago while we were visiting Leipzig, lagas introduced us to naumberg cathedral and the master of naumberg. This sculptor is responsible for some of the sweetest carvings in cathedral. He has several pieces in Mainz including these people:  





And these sinners. 


I really like the personality he puts in his works. Btw we had trouble finding these sculptures. We asked a museum worker for direction. She was very excited that we knew of the master. It was fun. 


Saturday I visited the market in Mainz. They always have beautiful spring flowers. 

I visited st Christopher's church. It dates from 900's and was bombed in ww2. 

I climbed to the top of town and visited st Stephens church. It has chagalls last stained glass windows. He was 95 when he designed them. The above pic is the view from outside the church. 
I did a little shopping and walking through neighborhoods. I logged over 25,000 steps today on a 3 month old knee with no pain !  

No comments:

Post a Comment