Saturday, March 15, 2014

Mainz

Will got up early to attend his meeting. I got to sleep in 

I had breakfast at the Saturday market, tried to get tickets to the ballet tonight (Cinderella-it was sold out), then went to the landesmuseum. This is an art museum here. I thought I had do w all the museums. It was pretty good. The middle ages and renaissance section were wonderful. Lots of works by local artists- artists from mainz who painted 600 years ago. There were several paintings that the audio recording said we're "looted from france". That's all it says. An interesting disclosure I thought. The museum info said they used to have a large modern collection but most of those a works were destroyed as degenerate by hitler. There were only me and another couple in the museum. So very quiet. 
As I was leaving the old masters section a docent asked me if I would like to see their new exhibit. It's not open yet. She took me down some stairs to this:


These are all roman ruins that have been unearthed in mainz. It was pretty interesting. 
I met will for a quick break then I put my feet up, watched a movie and knitted in the hotel room. Very nice

Tonight we ate at a Greek restaurant and picked up a few of our favorite things at a grocery store. 

Tomorrow meeting in the am Leipzig in the pm. Tchuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment