Friday, March 9, 2012

Barcelona 2

A beautiful Catalan Friday in Barcelona.

Last night we thumpa-thumped our way into the Avis car rental office, having punctured a tire a few blocks away. Maaany helpful motorcyclists and pedestrians informed us of the flat, but we were so close to the office Ana also so close to its closing time that we just forged ahead. Actually, the Avis instructions when we rented the car included not stopping if we get a flat, but driving on the flat to a police station or auto repair shop. Apparently folks with flats are prey to criminals.

We ate a terrific 11 PM supper. I quenched my appetite for fried/salted Padron peppers. Then I had a white bean and Andouille sausage stew. Dessert was triple chocolate, because double just would not have been enough. Susan's appetizer was potato and ham omelette, entree was couscous salad, leaving room for the best rice pudding ever! Susan says what made it so good was really good cinnamon.

Today we enjoyed Barcelona sites afoot in sunshine! There were actually other non-Mediterranean tourists in town. Throughout Provence, it seemed we were the only ones.

La Ramblas was fun. The food market was amazing - wonderful variety of fruits, veggies, meats, seafood, candies, etc. Disneyland-level hygiene cleanliness. Somehow, even the insects were kept away! We meandered in the gothic part of old town, saw sparks fly inside the old cathedral (interior construction under way), did a spot of shopping, and enjoyed street performers.

1 comment:

  1. I like how I figured out that it was Dad writing when I got to this line: "I quenched my appetite for fried/salted Padron peppers."

    Also, the juices are beautiful. I look forward to hearing more about Las Ramblas.

    ReplyDelete